HOW TO BECOME A NEW MERIT BADGE COUNSELOR - PASS ON THE WORD!
How to Become a NEW Merit Badge Counselor
- For anyone who wishes to become a NEW merit badge counselor, they must submit paperwork directly to:
- Jefferson Service Center
- Open Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 5:30 pm & Saturday 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- 148 Boy Scout Trail Pendergrass, GA 30567
- Patty Talarek / P.O. Box 399 Jefferson, GA 30549
- Paperwork should include:
- Completed BSA adult application (position code 42 - merit badge counselor), yes existing registered leaders in other positions need to fill out a new adult application to add the position.
- Copy of current youth protection certificate
- Completed and signed merit badge counselor application (maximum of 30 merit badges allowed). Don't forget to include your troop number and district
- Applicant will receive an email confirmation once their application has been processed.
- Make copies of all paperwork
- Do not hand into your district executive - they handle tons of paperwork and it may get lost in the shuffle.
- Lastly, be patient, processing of applications and background checks take time.
- Jefferson Service Center
HOW TO UPDATE AN EXISTING MERIT BADGE COUNSELOR PROFILE
Adding, Deleting Merit Badges & Profile Updates
- Should a registered merit badge counselor's address, phone number, or unit change, please email us so we can update your records.
- At any time, registered merit badge counselors can easily add or delete merit badges
- A new adult application is not necessary if they are already a registered merit badge counselor
- Northeast Georgia has a maximum of thirty 30 merit badges per merit badge counselor
- Please help me socialize this form to your unit. While prior forms are accepted, this form is preferred.
RECHARTERING MERIT BADGE COUNSELORS
There is no need to recharter merit badge counselors:
- Merit badge counselors are not a unit position and are not rechartered with the unit.
- Merit badge counselor applications should NOT be held and turned in with the recharter
OBTAINING LIST OF APPROVED MERIT BADGE COUNSELORS
The list can be obtained from the district merit badge coordinator:
- To obtain a list of approved merit badge counselors for your unit, fill out and submit the form on the Merit Badge Counselor Request
- Only unit leaders should contact the district merit badge coordinator to request a list. Scouts should not be directed to get the list from the district.
- Scouts are to be allowed to work with "any" approved counselor on the list.
- The Scoutmaster should have a discussion with the scout about their merit badge counselor, and can recommend a counselor.
- The Scoutmaster cannot prevent the scout from working with any approved merit badge counselor, including the scout's parent.
- Exception would be any immediate safety concerns, which should be immediately raised with the council.
RESOURCES FOR MERIT BADGE COUNSELORS
Here are some merit badge counselor resources and training material that you should read or participate in:
- Northeast Georgia Council Website - This is the place to go to get the latest training, see upcoming merit badges, and the like. http://nega-bsa.org/advancement/merit-badge-counselors/
- Essentials of Merit Badge Counseling - This PowerPoint presentation covers the required procedures for merit badge counseling, clarifies the role of counselors in the BSA advancement program, and discusses the appropriate approaches to use in working with Scouts. Download PowerPoint Presentation , Download Presenter's Notes PDF
- Scouting Magazine - (An official BSA publication) Merit Badge Requirements - Also includes links to BSA-relations publications, organizations, resource books, and reference websites.
- Calendar of New Merit Badges - This is the place to find out what merit badges have just been released and what will be released soon.
Never be alone with a Scout! Maintain two-deep leadership at all times.
- Be sure to keep your unit's merit badge counselor's Youth Protection Training up to date (expires every two years)
- Training is available at myscouting.org
- They must keep it current to remain a merit badge counselor.
- Reference documents for Youth Protection Training
REPORTING AN ISSUE WITH A MERIT BADGE COUNSELOR
If you have an issue with a counselor:
Include the counselors name and contact
Describe the issue, including dates (if relevant)
Questions asked every day and it's not a joke. I would like to get the same answer what is levitra and where it is right now. Immediately everything becomes easier.